Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Who in the Lou?


So I'm at the St. Louis County Library's fourth annual Suspense Night watching Reed Farrell Coleman raise a few bucks for the library to keep events like tonight's going, and he gets to an item that I could possibly bid on. Strapped for cash as I am, I've not even made a token bid on any of the items he and fellow panelists have donated for this informal auction, but now... now he holds up an ARC of Tower, the title he and Ken Bruen have collaborated on for Busted Flush, due out later in the year. What the hell, I'm gonna buy one any way, right? And it's a good cause right? But then there's this guy. This dude right in front of me opening the bidding at fifty bucks and taking it home for seventy-five. Fucker. Turns out he's my "friend" Rodney Wiethop from Crimespace. Crimespace is one of those social networking sites for ubernerds like me to rub elbows with the beautiful people and not much practical use, but hey, I'm there. I get "friend" requests sometimes and look at their profiles wondering what the hell steered them my way, but Rod's caught my eye. Rod knows his shit. We talked a lot about William Gay, Cormac McCarthy, Craig McDonald, Tom Franklin and Daniel Woodrell. Turns out he's writing now too, looking forward to that, but I digress. WTF? Between tonight's event with RFC (who has the greatest voice), Scott Phillips (who wore and fielded questions on his WWED? - What Would Ed Gein Do? t-shirt... thanks Batfatty), SJ Rozan (who is even taller in person) and John Lutz (who wrote SWF Seeks Same that the movie Single White Female was based on - that one where Bridget Fonda and Jennifer Jason Leigh get naked - no the other one, directed by Barbet Schroeder), next week's Noir at the Bar with Anthony Neil Smith, Mr. Phillips and Frank Bill and May 30th's appearance of Michael Connelly suddenly there's a bit to do. Not complaining, mind you, but damn. Speaking of Connelly, Terril Lee Lankford has been directing short adaptations of the first chapters of Mike's books as they're released for a few years now and the latest, The Scarecrow is up now. Yeah, there's not much money in them, but they're true to the books and beat the crap out of Bloodwork. And speaking of Lankford, go read Shooters, or Earthquake Weather or somethin. Stay inside, it's too sunny outdoors.

4 comments:

Kieran Shea said...

Earthquake Weather. A favorite. That sounded like a great time.

Kent said...

Sounds like a good time.

And William Gay? Is THE LOST COUNTRY ever coming out? The new pub. date is now almost a full year later than the original pub. date.

I'm impatient.

jedidiah ayres said...

Yeah, Gay and Ellroy should be out about the same time... Also there's that film of I Hate to See That Evening Sun Go Down, that I'm dying to see.

Kent said...

I didn't know there was a movie made from that. Cool. I'd certainly like to see that.

Got my fingers crossed that the release date for The Lost Country doesn't change again.